Egg molds are pretty easy to use:
- Hard-cook your eggs. I bring mine to a boil in salted water, then turn off the burner, put the lid on the pot, and let sit for 15 minutes.
- Peel while still warm. I peel mine under running water, I find it helps the the shell come off more easily.
- Pop the warm egg into a mold. Sometimes you may need to do a little squishing, sometimes it may close easily - it's trial & error :)
- Chill in the fridge, in the molds. I put mine in a bowl of ice water as soon as they're in the mold, to completely stop the cooking process so the yolks don't get a grayish ring, and speed up the cooling, in case I want to make more than one of the same shape.
- Once cooled, pop them out of the mold! Easy-peasy. Well, okay, they don't always come out perfect; I've made plenty of messy ones. Birdie doesn't care, and if it's really bad, egg salad is good too :)
I've learned that larger eggs work best, but since they vary in size, so do my results :) If the egg is too big for the mold, I'll trim a bit off the pointier end, or if it's on the small side, add a bit of paper towel underneath it to fill the gap. Or I don't worry about it - the sproutlets aren't harsh critics, and sometimes the results can be fun anyways! I discovered by trial & error that a smaller egg in the star mold makes a blossom shape!
I hard-cook 4-6 eggs at a time and immediately mold them so I have a bunch in the fridge to choose from when I pack lunch in the morning, or for her to choose a snack after preschool. Birdie can't read the words imprinted on the cubed eggs but she likes the square shape, and they are handy for when a monkey or a car won't fit my theme ;)
- Star & Heart
- Rabbit & Bear
- Fish & Car
- Egg & Bon Appetit Squares
- Hello Kitty
- Panda, Monkey, Lamb, & Bat
And the bat! Eek! I love the bat ♥
Egg molds are not limited to eggs, either. Most of the egg molds shown can also be used to mold cute sandwich balls or rice balls (onigiri). And the monbento square molds double as treat boxes :)
● ● ● ●
More egg molds added to my collection!
● ● ● ●
The giveaway has ended.
And, 3 more lucky second chance winners will each get a set of either the heart & star, bear & rabbit, or fish & car egg molds! It's an egg mold giveaway egg-stravaganza!
Thank you BentoUSA for sponsoring this giveaway & CuteZcute for an awesome product!